Wednesday, May 28, 2008

WOW, What A Day!

Wow, what a day. It is May in Waco, Texas. That generally means hot and humid. Today was no exception. At least most of the day was no exception.

When I left for work this morning at 6:30 the weather forecast called for a high in the mid 90's and a small chance of rain. Before lunch time it was cloudy and warm. After lunch I took my class out for recess. It was getting hot at 11:30 AM. The kids loved it though. They got to run and play and watch a stray dog wander around the street beside the school. When it was time to go in we definitely had to stop at the water fountain before going to music. By early afternoon the sun came out and it was getting hotter.

At dismissal it was sunny and around 93 degrees. While at our dismissal spot my students were complaining about the sun and the heat. They wanted to go in the shade. By 3:10 PM I had 4 students left and the sky began to cloud up and we started to get a slight breeze from the east. Then the wind picked up out of the east and it was very cool. By 3:15 PM the temperature had dropped about 25 degrees to 68 degrees. Can you say "outflow boundary"? One of my students was actually complaining about being cold when his mom picked him up.

Once my students were picked up, I went in and worked in my room. By 4:00 PM I was leaving and it was beginning to pour. And the thunder was amazing. I wish I could have recorded it and place it hear for you to hear.

Since I couldn't record it I have placed a sound board from soundboard.com below. Listen to Track 1. that is the closest to what I heard.

I raced the rain all the way home. By the time I got home there was a school bus stopped in front of the house and it was raining so hard I had to wait in the carport for the rain to slacken. While waiting the school bus started to back up. How odd! When I finally got in Chris asked me if I saw the tree across the road in front of the house. Now I know why the bus was backing up, the road was blocked by a tree that was blown down by the wind.

Wow, what a day!

© 2008 Barry T Horst

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.


Go To FamilyChristian.com

Please visit the Giveaway of the Day near the bottom of the left sidebar for free software downloads daily.


No comments: