Friday, May 01, 2009

TMI

This is about the Too Much Information TMI and not the Three Mile Island TMI.

I'm 52 years old. I was born and raised in Texas. I have lived here all my life. I have used the colloquial term "Y'all" for as long as I can remember. Things like, "Y'all get over here!"; Y'all get quiet!"; "Are y'all comin 'over?"; "See y'all later!" and the like. I've been speaking this way probably since as far back as the first day utterances poured forth from my mouth.

I would often say that I was born in Texas and will always talk that way. Then, I went on a 3 day field trip with 5th graders. I came back saying, "You guys!" Now I find myself in my classroom intoning, "Hey you guys, let's get quiet. I have something important to tell you." Quite a difference from, "Y'all hush!"I never would've thought I would be saying 'You guys!" I mean, I'm a Texan. Most Texans I know don't say things like "You guys!"

In fact, you could say that I probably would have thought I would only talk that way when "pigs fly!"

Well, "Swine Flu" and now I'm saying "You guys!"


© 2009 Barry T Horst

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

Please visit the Giveaway of the Day near the bottom of the left sidebar for free software downloads daily.

No comments: